Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A month on

A month into the blog. How’s it going? Why am I doing it? Who’s it for? Well, I’m enjoying it. I like writing and I like the discipline of writing something each day. It’s funny because, apart from sporadic attempts during my teens, I’ve not kept a diary for 30 years. Is this a diary? No. Clearly I’m not doing it just for myself, otherwise it would be off-line, secreted away somewhere. But I am keeping some things private.

The fact that it’s out there in ‘public’ means that I’m obviously happy for people to know what I’m up to and what I’m thinking. Of course half the world’s now on Facebook so everyone knows what everyone’s doing & thinking. For me, though, Facebook is mostly short, fairly inconsequential chat. My blog is a monologue (a line from a John Foxx song if ever there was one). People can comment, which would be fun to see, and could perhaps lead to a conversation of sorts. But I’m easy either way.

So why am I doing it? I don’t know really. A friend suggested I should. Perhaps it’s simply curiosity, or self-indulgence. I like documenting things. I liked the fact that it was really easy to set up. As the instructions said: "5 minutes. Seriously". And I liked it’s candour: "People can comment. Or not. What will happen then? Who knows. It might be fun, though". It is actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment