Monday, February 22, 2010

Top 10 Albums 1979

Interesting. This blog is turning into a request spot. Following my Top 10 Albums of 2009 (see 27 Jan post), my good friend Simon, whom I’ve known since schooldays, has requested a Top 10 of ‘79, ‘89 and ‘99. 1979 was our last year at Chi High. I was 17/18 and heavily into Euro-rock, the weirder end of new wave, the beginnings of industrial, minimalism, and possibly a little jazz-rock. This was reflected in the concerts I went to that year: Mike Oldfield, Camel, Steve Hillage, Hawkwind, This Heat and Throbbing Gristle.

The question is, should the list be of its time (including albums which might have dated somewhat) or in retrospect (including albums released that year but bought much later)? I’ve largely gone for the former:

- Hans-Joachim Roedelius Jardin au Fou
- Peter Baumann Trans Harmonic Nights
- Popol Vuh Nosferatu (soundtrack)

- Heldon Stand By
- Wire 154
- Steve Reich Octet / Music for a Large Ensemble / Violin Phase
- Gunter Schickert Überfällig
- Cluster Grosses Wasser
- Michael Rother Katzenmusik
- Steve Hillage Rainbow Dome Musik


I’m aware that this lot sounds pretty pretentious! Six Germans, one French, two Brits and a solitary Yank (and he from the classical world). Why no Joy Division Unknown Pleasures? Truth is I didn’t get into them until Closer. Throbbing Gristle 20 Jazz Funk Greats? No Bowie? Well, Lodger was the weakest of the so-called Berlin/Eno trilogy. (And while we're about it, oddly there was nothing from Eno in 79). It’s true that there was a lot of great pop that year: two Gary Numan albums, Roxy Music Manifesto, Jam Setting Sons, Blondie Parallel Lines, Talking Heads Fear of Music, Elvis Costello Armed Forces, XTC Drums & Wires, Human League Reproduction, even ABBA Voulez Vous. I liked all that stuff but my head was in post-Krautrock Europe. That said, a lot of that was on the wane: Tangerine Dream Force Majeure, Ashra Correlations, the ‘last’ Can album, Klaus Schulze Dune etc. Finally, mention should be made of Nurse With Wound Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella, which I didn’t like it – and still don’t – but it was highly influential in terms of opening up a world of experimental music.

4 comments:

  1. I'd go along with about 7 of them being the best of the year. At least back in 1979. I'd say I've played 6 of them in the last 12 months as well! Can't think of any major ones you've missed. I'll have to have a dig into the archives.
    I always thought you were a fan of the NWW album - just shows you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Stan, whom I met in Tokyo yesterday (and who ran the Tokyo Marathon this morning, poor guy) said it was utterly pretentious and why couldn't I have listed some normal groups. He has a point. I really did like a lot of post new wave but probably as singles rather than albums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great year, luckily nobody forces ME to do a list of 10...I would not know what to choose!! (Though definitely Schulze's "Dune", mainly because of side one....
    Never know how to date "classical" music yearwise.... "Music for 8 Musicians" was composed 73 to 76, and the ECM release was 78... (similar for Philip Glass' "Einstein on the Beach" which was from 76, but the 4-LP box wasn't released until 79 (which I would love to include then!). But as I said, I would be a loss of stripping it down to a list of 10! Funny thing is, I wasn't into any "new wave" until 1980, but now half of my favorites from 79 are records I learned to appreciate and love years after....(oh, and have to dig, but think our first correspondence started in '79, didn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right: my "Einstein..." box set is from 79 so shld really be included.

    I think our first correspondence was actually Jan 80 when Conrad Schnitzler asked me to reply to a postcard you sent him. I can remember it quite vividly, sitting at his kitchen table!

    ReplyDelete