Saturday, September 25, 2010

Footie re-unification

Roped in, fairly willingly it has to be said, to the annual 5-a-side football tournament at the British Embassy all this afternoon. It's been four years since I played so I was bit rusty, but it was good fun. Somehow we (British Council) made it past the 'group stage' but were pitted against tough opposition in the semis. After an eventful 2:2 stalemate match (we scored direct from a corner and I toe-punted one in from our own half), it was penalties. And in true England fashion we flunked it. Mine hit the bar. There, I admitted it. Never mind, perhaps the most interesting thing about the day was being reunited with two players with whom I used to play regularly 20 years ago: Martin in Hyde Park in the late 80s and Stuart for BCFC in the early 90s before we went our separate ways. We're now back in the same city, a little older, greyer and paunchier, but otherwise just like old times.

No comments:

Post a Comment