Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Town Rock

This morning I am driven to a NewTown called Fangshan, just south west of Beijing. It's tempting to say that it's a bit like Milton Keynes but that would be lazy. Amidst the rampant construction is a field where they're going to hold a rock festival. The promoter has invited Ian Brown, Zero 7 and Mr Hudson from the UK to headline and they've asked me to say a few words at the press conference. It's all very formal but interesting in a surreal way. When asked what bands I like I'm mischievously tempted to say Brian Eno, Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle, but of course I say David Bowie, U2 and Radiohead. Afterwards, we are given some boxes of local peaches and grapes to take back to the office. As we set off in the car, I realise just how good my colleague Shen's English is: "That was a fruitful trip", he smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment