Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cragg & Scriabin

Not much theatre today, instead a 5hr meeting at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art about their Tony Cragg exhibition with Patrick, two Chinese museum directors and Lisa, my colleague. P gave us a great guided tour, making an already interesting exhibition even more so. Funny to be working with my brother on this, but it's going pretty well so far. Most of the works are huge & heavy, not least the ones in the Gallery's garden.

Equally good was the Philharmonia Orchestra's concert at Usher Hall. I'm not a great classical-concert-goer, but this was a riveting programme of Scriabin, Ravel and Stravinsky - all from just before WW1. Scriabin's The Poem of Ecstasy was the real surprise for me, conducted at a furious pace by Esa-Pekka Salonen. I was lucky enough to meet him afterwards and he was still covered in sweat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment