Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Prince who Fell to Earth

Alyssa and I read The Little Prince. It's one of those books that are famous for being famous (it's the most read and translated novel - actually novella - in the French language) but I'd never actually read. It was written by a French aristocratic aviator, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, in 1942 in New York while temporarily exiled from Vichy France, and is about a little prince who hails from an asteroid the size of a house. He comes down to Earth, landing in a desert and meets a fox and a few people, including the narrator who'd just crashed his plane (as the author had done in reality ten years earlier). It's highly allegorical and I'm not sure I got it all. Alyssa thought it "strange", which is a pretty fair description. I expect someone's picked this up before, but it reminded me of Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment