Monday, July 23, 2012

Trying to like Spike

This evening I watched a Best of Spike Milligan - "arguably the greatest comedian to have emerged in post-war Britain" it says here. Try as I might, I just don't find him funny. At all. It's a bit of a mystery. Everyone reveres the guy and I just don't get it. (In the same way that I don't get Billy Connelly). The way he 'unwittingly' laughs at his own jokes, the mild sexism (not as bad as Bennie Hill), even a bit of racism (though not as bad as Bernard Manning), but mostly because I just don't find him funny. So I bought a DVD at Heathrow last week and watched it all the way through in the 'hope' that I'd finally twig. I didn't. Actually, there was one thing he said about Harry Secombe which I liked: "I'm glad he died before me, because I didn't want him to sing at my funeral".

No comments:

Post a Comment