Thursday, August 30, 2012

Proms

This summer I've been dipping in and out of a coffee table book about the Proms, roughly in parallel with this year's season, its 118th. It's an amazing thing, the Proms. From humble beginnings at the Queen's Hall in Langham Place in 1895, it has grown into what is the biggest classical music festival on Earth. Can't say I've been to many, but it's just so good to know that it's there. I think I first became a fan when they did an all-nighter of Indian music in 1981. I remember staying up until 7am taping it all. I like the fact that you can buy a ticket for £5 - if you don't mind standing. I like its mix of serious and light. I don't even mind the slightly silly (but ultimately fairly harmless) patriotism of the Last Night - which incidentally is broadcast on Chinese TV.   

No comments:

Post a Comment