Saturday, August 2, 2014

Daughtry versus The Fault in Our Stars

Alyssa has moved on from the Latin-American pop of Selena Gomez to US rock band Daughtry's Baptised and the soundtrack to the tear-jerking The Fault in Our Stars movie. Neither would normally make it into my collection, but they're not bad at all and have been 'on heavy rotation' in our car. I can even forgive Chris Daughtry's American Idol beginnings, bulging, tattooed biceps, nostalgia-driven lyrics and vocal posturing. (One thing I've noticed about high-end productions these days is how they're designed to be heard while driving. With the constant ambient noise of engine and rubber on tarmac, I struggle to hear the bass and even mid-range of most of my CDs, but Daughtry seems crystal clear).
The Fault in Our Stars features a bunch of indie artists like Ed Sheeran, Tom Odell, M83, Kodaline, Birdy etc, united by a kind of gloomy aesthetic redolent of 4AD. It was only a matter of time before the girls would be determining what's hip and what isn't. My Klaus Schulze, Shriekback and Blancmange discs have been consigned to the glove compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment