Monday, November 30, 2015

Psychogeography and Tango in Guadalajara

Today (and for the next two days), FIL gets down to business, closes the doors to the public from 9-5 and focusses on the publishing industry rather than the authors. So the day is full of business meetings and talks about licensing rights, distribution, e-books etc. 
Nonetheless, there are plenty of authors around and Salman Rushdie, here to coincide with the publication of the Spanish version of Two Years Eight Months Twenty Eight Days, took the opportunity to check out our pavilion and pose for photos with the volunteers. I must say, I find him charming.
At 5pm the doors open to the general public again and in they flood, waves of them, and the talks revert to the authors. Great chance to see & hear an author I've admired for 15 years or so, Iain Sinclair. His unearthing of London, especially its East End and Lee Valley (the latter now utterly transformed by the OIympics), echoed my own interest in these areas when I lived in London and would go walking in the former docklands, along canals and exploring housing estates... although I only discovered him through Lights Out for the Territory after I'd left London. His Orbital - a 125 mile walk and historical discourse around the M25 - is one of my favourite books of the noughties.  
And so to the third in our series of concerts at ForoFIL... Aurora Orchestra and their eclectic programme, ranging from Mahler and West Side Story to Lennon's 'Jealous Guy' and two racy pieces with tango dancers. A passionate, accessible combination which went down very well with an amazingly big audience for a Monday night. I see someone in the audience posted a video of WSS on YouTube.    

No comments:

Post a Comment